Saturday, February 20, 2010

John Brown: Quote for February 20, 2009

I am only walking as God foreordained I should walk. All my actions, even the follies leading to this disaster, were decreed to happen long ages before this world began. But, I cannot remember a night so dark as to have hindered the coming day; or a storm so furious as to prevent the return of warm sunshine in the country at peace. I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood. Aye, let them hang me. I forgive them, and may God forgive them for they know not what they do!
from: Santa Fe Trail (1940)
Raymond Massey acted as John Brown
John Brown was an American abolitionist, who was hung after he was caught during an unsuccessful raid of the Armory at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia in 1859.