Saturday, January 9, 2010

Marco Polo: Quote for January 9, 2010

Picking the right maidens to serve in Kublai Khan's Court.

I asked each one of them the same question which is, "How many teeth has a snapping turtle?" Now the girls in this group all gave a definite number. Some said one hundred teeth, some said twelve. They were all guessing. I should discard them.
Kublai Khan: You're right. I don't like guesses. Send them home.
My apologies,girls. Now, this group contains the girls who gave the correct answer, which is a snapping turtle has no teeth at all.
Kublai Khan: Then I should select them.
I should not. These girls know too much.
Kublai Khan: Right you are. Group two, dismissed.
I'm sorry girls. Now the remaining girls are recommended to Your Majesty's attention. In answer to my question, they all replied, "i don't know." proving they are both honest and reasonable.
Gary Cooper acted as Marco Polo
George Barbier appears in this clip acting as Kublai Khan.